banner

CBRCanada CoP – June discussion infographic and September 13th CoP

Comunity of Practice CoP Discussion Summary June 2024 Inforgraphic Snapshot

CoP Summary Infographic June 2024

Next CoP Date: Friday, September 13th from 12-1:30pm ET (*this CoP is longer than the usual 60 minutes)

Topic:

Responsibilities in Decolonization as a Community-Based Researcher

Guest Speaker: 

Ranjan Datta, PhD. Canada Research Chair in Community Disaster Research at the Department of Humanities, Mount Royal University, Calgary. Alberta, Canada. Ranjan is a Senior Scientist for the International Science Council (ISC) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Ranjan’s research interests include community disaster research, responsibilities for anti-racist and decolonial research, community-based climate change research, and engaging in cross-cultural community research endeavours. Ranjan has contributed significantly to the academic discourse with a total of 70 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, including with cross-cultural community Elders, Knowledge-keepers, and youths.

Inside the Session:

As a decolonial and anti-racist community-based researcher, I will share my decolonial journey as a responsibility to transform who I am and who I need to be. Drawing on my reflective learning from 17 years of community-based research, I have learned how to challenge and dismantle colonial structures within research methodologies. In this session, I will highlight the importance of responsibility in community-based research to decolonize both our research and us as researchers. Through this presentation, I aim to showcase that decolonization is all of our responsibility—a lifelong journey to transform our research as an action of change, centering community needs and promoting community-led and community-engaged research.

After the presentation, we hope you can join us for the discussion on ways we can center communities’ voices, experiences, and knowledge systems while critically examining our positionalities.

Recurring Zoom link (also in the calendar invitation):

https://zoom.us/j/94252731509

Meeting ID: 942 5273 1509

If you’re receiving this email, you will be notified by email with more details about this and the remaining Community of Practice sessions this academic year, as well as added to the recurring calendar invitations (with the Zoom link) for September 2024 to June 2025. You can email us to unsubscribe at any time.

We look forward to seeing you at the next discussion this Fall!  

The CBRCanada Team  

Julia Coburn

View the complete infographic by clicking the PDF link: CoP-Infographic.pdf

Posted

in

,

by

Tags: